My most popular blog post to date has been this one here on how to support your dream job when your dream job doesn’t pay. It’s a topic that I feel isn’t discussed much on social media and should be so people looking to pursue a dream have an idea of all that goes into it.
While watching someone follow a dream can look glamorous (and often feels glamorous—I love nothing more than writing books!) the reality is pursuing something you love often requires double the work because in addition to all the time you have to put into your dream, you have to find creative ways to make money to be able to keep doing it. It took ten years before I started making money off my writing.
Teaching fitness classes has been one of the side jobs I’ve always had to help support my artistic life. I chose it because besides being a writer, I thought being a dance teacher was one of those things I would never be able to do and I wanted to master it. Teaching dance also has prepared me to be a better author. I’ve learned skills like public speaking, commanding an audience, and work ethic.
Writing is solitary too and teaching every day is something I look forward to because I get to meet SO many amazing people in my classes, let loose, and help people feel good about themselves and their bodies.
Because of this one of my favorite things to shop for over the years has become workout clothes! I LOVE matching two piece sets and my favorite places to get them are Alo Yoga, Shop Avocado, and Year of Ours (one of the brands featured in Waiting at Hayden’s!).
I really feel that I dance better and burn more calories when I like what I’m wearing to class. You can find some of my current favorites here:
A workout accessory that I love and that Charli wears in Waiting at Hayden’s is this Sportswear Hairtie Bracelet by SAVVI Style. It was designed by another Orange County female entrepreneur. You put the cute bracelet on and your hair tie goes inside it, then you can pull it out when you’re ready to put your hair up. The bracelets come in a variety of colors so you can match to all your two piece sets.
I get asked for my playlists all the time in classes, so for all my students reading along (or anyone that wants some fun tunes to dance to in the living room or while you’re driving, check it out below! And if you’d like to take a class with me, you can find me several days a week at Studio Fixx or Equinox in Irvine.
1. Body On My (Loud Luxury, Pitbull, Nicky Jam, Brando)
2. Believer (Major Laser, Showtek)
3. Tu Me Quemas (Chino & Nacho, gente De Zona)
4. Sweet but Psycho (Ava Max)
5. Hey Mama (David Guett, Nicki Minaj, Bebe Rexha)
5. Hey Ma (with Pitbull & J Balvin)
6. Sábado Rebelde (Daddy Yankee, Plan B)
7. Tip Toe (Feat. Montana)
8. Came Here For Love (Sigala, Ella Eyre)
9. Mad Love (Sean Paul, David Guetta, Becky G.)
10. Hammertime (John Hart, New the Pharaoh, Clyde Carson)
11. Drop that Kitty (feat. Charli XCX and Tinashe)
12. Power (Little Bit, Stormzy)
13. Just Girly Things (Dawin)
14. Taki Taki (with Selena Gomez)
15. Amor, Amor, Amor (feat. Winsin)
16. Peligroso (J Balvin, Wisin, Yandel)